More Than Conquerors Church began its history as Sylvester Baptist Church in a brush arbor in the year 1867. The property was recorded in the Clayton County Archives on January 4, 1909. As years passed on, a few concerned members began to plan on how they would build a House of Worship so that all people bound and free would be able to worship God. On February 6, 1919, records indicate the Sylvester Plantation Owner donated an acre of land to a Black Slave, Jessie Mosley, Sr. This donated property, located on Sylvester Plantation was to be used to build a church building and school. This created much enthusiasm and paved the way for others to establish ways of educating families, openly praying and teaching the Word of God.
After many years, an overnight storm had destroyed the entire church. Many were disheartened and saw this as a great loss but there were others who believed the land was given to them for a purpose and that purpose was to build a House of Worship. Although times were hard, money was short, and this was such a disappointing setback, they had a determined faith and set out to accomplish the task of rebuilding the church. Countless people from miles around, both Black and White, worked side by side to rebuild the new Sylvester Baptist Church. Through the grace of God coupled with a determination to succeed, the task of rebuilding the church was completed on October 21, 1919.
Over the decades, many mighty men of God were sent to lead his Flock. January 20, 1995, Sylvester Baptist Church was again blessed when Dr. C.L. May became Pastor. He has a life changing Ministry that is “Unlike the Traditional and Beyond the Ordinary”. Under Dr. May’s leadership major improvements involving extensive interior modifications, and exterior building reconstruction was done. Along with many interior upgrades were made which included various modern technology purchases of media equipment. The fellowship hall was renamed in honor of past Deacon J.A. Yancey to the J. A. Y. Fellowship Hall. The Savior’s Care Nursery and classroom facility was developed and constructed. In addition, an expansion for the Pastor’s office and the purchase of 11.3-acre land was made. Dr. May believes that active members “serve”. Therefore, he renamed all established “boards” to “ministries”. He also reorganized and implemented new ministries. Today our ministries include: Taste and See, Fine Arts Ministry, Doorkeepers, Brothers United in Christ, Deacons, Daughters of Destiny, Christian Education, First Impressions, Marriage Enrichment, Singles Abiding in the Lord’s Truth (SALT), Voices of Conquerors, Seasoned Saints, Sick & Shut-in, Savior’s Care (Childcare Ministry),, Building, Grounds, and Transportation, Media, Health and Wellness, Nurses Guild. Along with Tuesday Tune-up, Mountain Movers Corporate Prayer, New Member’s Orientation, Teacher and Leadership Training, Breaking Barriers TV Broadcast, Beulah Height’s Thanksgiving Outreach, The Joseph Project Mission to Kenya East Africa. Conqueror’s Kidz Church and Impact Teen’s Church. In 2008, after much prayer and looking at what Sylvester had overcome as individuals and a collective body of believers, God laid upon Pastor May’s heart Romans 8:37, Nay in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us; and the name More Than Conquerors was birth along with the personalized creation of the More Than Conquerors Logo.
Through dedication to prayer and faith for a New Heart and a New Home; January 1, 2017, More Than Conquerors Church moved as a church from 3248 Old Jones Road in Ellenwood, Georgia to 3600 Snapfinger Road in Lithonia,Georgia. We stand here one year later in God’s answered prayer! More Than Conquerors reflects on what God has done through the servants of God that he has placed within the ministry life of More Than Conquerors formerly known as Sylvester Baptist Church. We thank God for 150 years of Church History and we Move Forward By Faith to an even brighter future!